President Barack Obama wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times last week on four reasons we need health care reform now. Every American should read it. Here are a few lines from the piece:
- No one in America should go broke because they get sick.
- We are already closer to achieving health-insurance reform than we have ever been.
- We have the American Nurses Association and the American Medical Association on board…
- If we maintain the status quo, we will continue to see 14,000 Americans lose their health insurance every day.
- I don’t have to explain to the nearly 46 million Americans who don’t have health insurance how important this is. But it’s just as important for Americans who do have health insurance.
- A 2007 national survey actually shows that insurance companies discriminated against more than 12 million Americans in the previous three years because they had a pre-existing illness or condition.
Read Barack Obama’s essay now.